Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Sorry that it has been awhile since I posted last...So we were watching American's Test Kitchen-Cook's Country, I know lame, but Brad and I actually both like this show and watch it every week. Anyway they made this Mac and Cheese that just looked wonderful. So I decided to make it and let me tell you that was the bestest mac and cheese I have ever tasted...the blue box don't know crap.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

8 TBSP Unsaled Butter
2 Cups fresh Bread Crumbs-4 Slices bread
1 LB Elbow Macaroni
6 TBSP Flour
4 Cans Evaporated Milk
1 LB Colby Cheese, Shredded
8 Oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and add to blender or food processor with 4 slices of bread. Pulse until breadcrumbs. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot for the macaroni. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and the macaroni and cook until almost tender but still firm to the bite. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Drain and rinse the macaroni with cold water and leave it in the colander. Wipe the pot dry, add the remaining butter and melt over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in the Colby and cheddar until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the drained macaroni and pasta water, breaking up any clumps, until well combined. Pour into a 9 X 13 baking dish. Sprinkly evenly with the breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and bubbling around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minuites before serving.

Everyone rated this an 8 except me and I give it a 10 I loved it. Didn't know I liked mac and cheese that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment